Free Things to Do in Atlanta that Rock
Aug 11 , 2011
Atlanta is one of the most historically rich cities in the United States. However, in many ways, it can be expensive. You don’t always have to crack open your wallet to have a great time in Atlanta. There are plenty of free and fun things to do in Atlanta for everyone.
Atlanta Contemporary Art Center
If it’s a Thursday and you’re looking for something free that rocks to do in Atlanta and can occupy your day and stretch into your evening, visit the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center. From 11 AM- 8PM, this usually admission only art exhibit is free to the public. On these evenings, there is often additional programming such as film screenings, gallery tours, and lectures.
This incredible center aims to feature already discovered as well as blossoming artists. Its vast collection of art has dazzled a diverse audience for years. With all the talent present in the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center, it’s definitely a free activity in Atlanta that can’t be missed and will be greatly appreciated.
Centennial Olympic Park
Centennial Olympic Park remains a historic legacy for the city of Atlanta ever since it hosted the Centennial Olympic Games. The 21-acre park is notorious for hosting some of Atlanta’s most entertaining free things.
- Wednesday Wind Down: Every Wednesday (April-September) from 5:30- PM, enjoy free live music in Atlanta. The performances vary in genre with everything from jazz to reggae.
- Music at Noon: If you need to unwind for an hour during the workweek, check out the live music in Centennial Olympic Park from noon- 1 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It’s a perfect time for a lunch date or just to get out of the office for an hour and enjoy Atlanta’s best free entertainment.
- Fourth Saturday Family Fun Days: If you want to participate in some family fun, save the fourth Saturday of every month. On this special day, Centennial Olympic Park hosts a variety of free activities in Atlanta for the whole family. These include specialty workshops, performances, educational programming, contests, prizes and much more.
Atlantic Station is considered the national model for smart growth and sustainable development. This community offers 10,000, employment opportunities for over 30,000 people, and entertainment and shopping for every kind of visitor. It also hosts some of the most intriguing free things to do in Atlanta.
- Free Friday Night Concerts: Every Friday throughout the summer, Atlantic Station features a free concert from a list of local and traveling artists. Atlantic Station’s free concerts are a great way to catch all the action of the local nightlife and be involved for free.
- ½ Street Market: Atlantic Station has just recently launched a new open-air market called ½ Street Market. It will be held on the second weekend of each month. This admission-free market features the work of local artists and up to 30 vendors selling local food and produce. Not looking to splurge? No problem, there are plenty of little samples to get as you by.